Sunday, May 07, 2006

drug update

Remember sitting in the eye doctor's chair? That big metal thing in front of your face, he'd switch between different lens combinations. "Which is better, this?" switch "or this? How about this, A" switch again "or this, B?"

I wish there was something like that for psych medications. "Which is better, this? or this?" Instead you've got to wait until one drug leaves the system, wonder about what the additive effect is, think about what else is going on in your life.

So, I'm up again, wide awake at 12:30 AM on a Sunday morning. I'm wondering what effect the ADD medication (it's called "concerta") has had on my sleeping pattern, if any. It was great at first, I'd be so tired by the end of the day I'd just conk right out. Then I found myself laying awake, pulse racing, wondering if this is aftermath of the drug. One risk of it is that it may raise your blood pressure. But it's supposed to be out of your system in 6 or 7 hours, 12 max, and this was happening even when it had been 14 or 16 hours since my pill.

So this weekend I'm experimenting with skipping my pill. I was kind of draggy all day and hit a real lull about 3:30 and napped for an hour and a half. Now I've been trying to get to sleep for the past few hours. The good news is, it feels the same as last night, racing pulse, etc. So maybe it's not a hangover from the pills.

Which is good, because I really do like the primary effect of the pills. I get so much done. My concentration is so much higher. Sometimes I get a little jittery, but I'm remembering today as I go without that I sometimes get a lot jittery just on nothing.

At least the sleeplessness is just annoying and not worrying me.

All in all I think I'm better with the pills. I think it's worth it. But could I see B again?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home