Friday, July 14, 2006

Right here, Right now

Do you remember that song? "Right here, right now" by Jesus Jones? 1991. The soviet union had crumbled under its own weight, Mandela was released, we were getting closer to the Oslo accords. Peace was breaking out all over, we were about to elect Clinton here for 8 of the best years our country has seen, closing out the 20th century. England was about to elect Tony Blair, the European union was gaining strength and looked like it might turn all the bitterness into bureaucracy. Not that bureaucracy is good, but sometimes it beats the alternative. We didn't know it yet, but the internet was about to change everything in unimaginable ways.

So these british mooks had the cojones to sing
I was alive and I waited waited
I was alive and I waited for this
Right here, right now, there is no other place I want to be
Right here, right now, watching the world wake up from history

and it seemed so hopeful and so true.

I can't listen to that song anymore. It makes me want to weep. But somehow I thought about it this morning, reading about Israel bombing Lebanon and Lebanon bombing Haifa today. The US military is bogged down hitting a tar baby in Iraq while wolves prowl the world. Oil prices are skyrocketing and our economy is plunging.

I know it's not all his fault, but

Fuck you, George W. Bush.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Do you still write at all?

I just now stumbled upon your blog by accident -- well, no, not by accident -- I googled "I hate my body" in a fit of self-loathing and there you were -- but the point is, your blog is funny and insightful and I wish you'd updated more recently.

12:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home